Monday, February 11, 2008

Oh No! It's Ursula the Octopus! Linda Christensen and "Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us"

“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” –Voltaire

This article was so great! I have always thought that Disney was a terrible influence on children!

Linda Christensen argues, and I say rightfully so, that cartoons, movies, and literature establish a conceptual framework for stereotyping in young people’s minds. She argues that these hidden messages serve as a “secret education” that validates certain behaviors and perspectives as the social norm, while contemporaneously fostering certain degree of social inequality.

Now, I have a hard time believing that after reading this, anyone can say that it isn't true! Let’s take Disney for example. The clear majority of villains in Disney’s animated movies are women. And if they aren’t, they are like Aladdin’s Jafar who, while male, has been clearly created in feminine way. Is this deliberate? Oh, you bet! Why was Aladdin Caucasian? Why didn't he have an accent? Why was the villain in The Little Mermaid, Ursula, old, fat, evil, and dark female? I could go on and on. If you feel that Disney was completely inncocent of these hidden message, I urge you to take another look. If you still don't believe it, I agree to disagree.

I really like some of the assignments that Christensen gave her class. Chief among them was the grading cartoons after their eyes had been opened to what was really going on.

I thought she was a bit over the top when she concluded with this:

“But more importantly, students saw themselves as actors in the world. They were fueled by the opportunity to convince some parents of the long-lasting effects cartoons impose on their children, or to enlighten their peers about the roots of some of their insecurities. Instead of leaving students full of bile, standing around with their hands on their hips, shaking their heads about how bad the world is, I provided them the opportunity to make a difference.”

I think it’s really great that she exposed this problem to her students, but don’t make it sound like you saved the world. There is still much to be done!

Solidarity Forever!
NAU

2 comments:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

Did you know that the drawing of Aladin was based on the face of... TOM CRUISE??!!! No joke.

Nick said...

lol! That is ODD!!