Sunday, March 16, 2008

This was Not a Picture Perfect Day...

This is part of the E-mail I sent to Dr. Bogad.

Dr. Bogad,

I had a bit of a issue with the photo project, and I wanted to write this to make you aware of it.

This week, my family and I went to our timeshare in North Carolina. With nothing but the greatest intentions, I brought my digital camera so I could take some pictures of teenagers in action! Problem is, since the apartment is in a older tourist laden area, there were like... no teens. I mean none. My mother and I went searching for teens, but instead we found elderly men playing bocci. lol

So I came home late on Saturday, and decided that I would spend the whole day Sunday gathering some pictures. I headed to the Warwick Mall today at 12:30 with camera in hand, and got ready to snap some pictures. The first one I took was a group of teens in the food court. Perfect! So I get in close (but not too close) and snap a picture. I turn to walk away and a women was standing behind me with a tray of food. She demanded to know why I was taking a picture of her kids (mind you, if she had that many kids she'd be old mother Hubbard... anyway). I calmly explained to her why I was doing that, in great detail, but she did not want to hear it. She was demanding that I delete it.

Dr. Bogad, she caused SUCH a scene it was ridiculous. She got right in my face. She wanted your name and everything... I was so scared. Terrified and mortified. Since she was so loud, other people around her were agreeing that what I was doing was wrong. I walked out in tears...

---

Did anyone else have a similar experience? lol

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Nick!!

I went to Texas last week for break and brought my camera with me, hoping to capture some pictures of teens...but of course I got the stomach bug and spent most of the trip in my hotel room. When I came home I emailed a former teacher of mine from high school that I was really close to and asked her if I could stop in and take some pictures in her classroom. Again no luck! She said that even though it was for a school project that her students are underage and that parents and or the administration would probably not allow it. I was going to head over to the mall tomorrow, but after reading your post I don't think it is such a good idea. I'm just as stuck as you are at this point! Maybe we can get some suggestions from everyone tomorrow in class?

Steph

Nick said...

Omg Steph, I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who had an issue...

Dr. Bogad emailed me back, I think we are going to discuss it in class.

People are waaaay to uptight. It's a picture! Come on! Am I am pedophile cause I want to take a picture of a group of kids?

Stephanie said...

I feel so much better about the whole thing now that I know you had a similar experience. I know it shouldn't be a big deal, its just a picture, but people assume that you have the worst of intentions! There's no trust among people anymore I guess! lol Oh well, I'll see you tonight :)

Kim said...

you should have punched her in the face. calmly haha

Hungry folk said...

Nick, you seriously need to update your blog! I want some new pearls of wisdom to read!

-Lorettaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa