Monday, April 28, 2008

Listen Up! It's Listen Up! Oh my, that's Lame...

Finally, a median for teenagers to express themselves artistically with the support, yes support not control, of adults. The website Listen Up is much like a YouTube, but I noticed that the quality of the videos are far better and so is the site's mission:

Listen Up! is a youth media network that connects young video producers and their allies to resources, support, and projects in order to develop the field and achieve an authentic youth voice in the mass media.

Instead of some website or film company exploiting the image and identity of teenagers for the almighty dollar, it seems that we have stumbled upon a haven for adolescent artistic cultivation! It's like a breath of fresh air. I get really positive vibes from what I read on here. For example, right from the homepage, you can see the headings "Educators," "Producers," and "Media Partners" which, to me, already gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Seeing collaboration to hold up the teenager, rather than keep him/her down, is something we all have been waiting to see this semester.

The teenagers depicted on Listen Up must have something wrong with them. Every single one. Never in my life have I ever seen teens so motivated, hard working, creative, and thoughtful in all my life! Everyone knows that teens are just the opposite. I refuse to believe that Listen Up really would want to portray teens in a positive light! What do they get out of it? Stupid and idiotic acting teens means cash! Just look at Superbad!

Ok, ok, I'll turn the sarcasm off now! I am reminded of Christensen's discussion of how the untruths created by the media distort what really happens. I remember one of our first classes, when we talked about the dominant discourses and how we need to wear different glasses. In the case of Listen Up, we can read the text as is. It gives teenagers a voice in cultural vaccum, where their perspectives, thoughts and ideas are irrelivent or distorted. The website is genuine. For that reason alone, it should be applauded.

But if I may head down a differnt path for a second, there is something else that I liked about Listen Up. It's not only about kids, it's also about art. In a time where anything art related is on the economic chopping block, a website embracing youth art is just so great to see. The site also provides information for educators, should their school districts actually have any interest in the fine arts... *Sigh*

No comments: